Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kids These Days

I was outside talking to one of my neighbors, engaged in the usual banter: the weather, the economy, a little about our personal lives, most of the topics that sprinkle everyday conversation.  Our discussion was cut short, however, by the piercing shouts of several neighborhood girls, apparently in the middle of a heated argument.  The fact that they were carrying on in such a manner in public was bad enough, but I was absolutely appalled at what they were saying.  The vulgarities spewing forth from their disgusting mouths were enough to make Howard Stern and Sam Kinnison blush.  F-bombs, c-words, b-words, whore, slut, even a few n-words were uttered.  It was unbelievable to hear these girls, who couldn't have been more than 14 or 15, shouting such vile obscenities.  While I stood in shock and disbelief, one of my neighbors, who had a young daughter within earshot of this nastiness, spoke up and advised the girls to watch their language, which was replied to with a blunt "F-you."  It was disgusting.

I wonder when it was that such language became an acceptable form of communication among youth.  As adults, we've all unfortunately had our moments when our word choices have been less than pleasant.  We still spout the occasional s-word or b-word.  Even as children we cursed, though we usually would silence ourselves after the first utterance and look around, hoping to God that no one heard us.  Living in a small town, we knew it wouldn't take long for someone to report back to our parents about our bad behavior, and we also knew the punishment that awaited us when they found out.  But these girls went far beyond anything I've ever heard in my life.  No joke.  It was the crudest, foulest exchange I've had the displeasure of hearing, surpassing even the worst obscenity laden dialogue on Jerry Springer or Jay and Silent Bob movies.  Just horrible.

So, back to my point: When did this become acceptable?  When did children lose that subconscious voice that told them not to do that?  When I was younger, even in the absence of my parents, every choice I made would be prefaced with "what would my parents think?"  In moments of anger, I still make that unnecessary mistake, but these were CHILDREN!!  Does the youth of America not possess that internal sensor anymore?  Even now, remembering their conversation, I still have a hard time believing it actually happened.  Do they think it's cool, that it's appropriate to talk that way? I must really be out of touch with the times.

I worry also that their attitude stems from lacking the parental guidance we had.  I know parents who use such language in front of their children, and it astounds me.  Growing up, my parents would never have considered talking that way.  Sure, when I got older, they were able to "cut loose" once in a while because they weren't as worried about influencing me anymore; after all, I was an adult.  But even then, their language was never that atrocious.  As my father sometimes says: "They wouldn't say s--- even if they had a mouthful of it."  I wonder what these kids' parents talk like, and if they even reprimand their children for such behavior. 

I then considered the more likely possibility that these girls just don't even think about what they're saying.  Such inappropriate words have become part of their everyday speech, as second nature and inconsequential as my discussion with my neighbors about the weather.  It was this consideration that really hit me.

What about me?  Have I become so inoculated against that language?  Yes, I know inoculated is generally used in reference to vaccinations, but when you think about it, letting such vulgarities become part of one's everyday lexicon is, in some small way, an infectious disease.  Spend a few days with someone who talks like that, and see if your vocabulary isn't adversely affected.  I don't think I speak so rudely or disgustingly.  I do have a sick sense of humor, but have I ever been so obscene and nasty in public?  I started analyzing my own vocabulary, and realized that, while I certainly don't talk quite so inappropriately, I haven't really thought about the way I speak.  I definitely notice it when young children talk that way, and the way I think about them is certainly not how I'd want others to perceive me...especially now when I'm looking for a job, and am likely under constant scrutiny by potential employers.  (After all, employers make it a habit to check social sites like Facebook when screening candidates, for those who aren't aware.)

So perhaps some good came from this unpleasant encounter; I reconsidered my own attitude and use (or misuse) of the English language.  I think I need to make sure I monitor myself as well, or my commentary about other people's activities would be rendered meaningless.  I can't say I'll never swear again, but I'll certainly be more aware of it and do my best to stifle it.  If I see these girls again, I'll have to say: "Thank you.  Your disgusting display of disrespect, vulgarity, and lack of inhibition has definitely made me want to be a better person...now fudge off."

No comments:

Post a Comment